Gas saving tips: how to improve your RV gas mileage
With fuel prices consuming a bigger portion of your RV budget, your friends at Explorer RV Insurance thought we’d pass along a collection of gas saving tips.
Keep in mind you’ll see better results if you apply more than just one or two of these ideas.
Tips for getting the best RV gas mileage:
- Keep your engine in top shape. While this is true for all types of vehicles, it’s even more important with heavier vehicles. This means getting regular tune-ups and oil changes, and inspecting the condition of your wires and plugs frequently. For better mileage, use synthetic oils.
- Maintain the correct tire pressure. Be sure to check it often – especially when traveling or experiencing temperature extremes. Keeping your tires at the manufacturer’s recommended pressure helps your tires last longer.
- Lighten the load. RVs are already heavy. Make it easier on your engine by not lugging around unnecessary items.
- Replace your air filter regularly. Dirty air filters clog air flow, and reduce fuel efficiency by as much as 10 percent.
- Turn off the air conditioner when driving at lower speeds. This can be tough in hot or muggy conditions. But, it will improve your RV gas mileage.
- Plot your trip carefully. Use whatever tools that are available to you help ensure you’re not wasting gas by getting lost, trapped in traffic jams or forced into long detours.
- Cruise down the highway. When possible, apply your cruise control and travel at a steady speed, which facilitates better RV gas mileage.
- Consider trading in for a more fuel-efficient RV. When it’s time to replace your vehicle, think about buying a RV that weighs less, uses diesel, features a sleek design or runs on a van chassis. All of these elements can help you achieve the best RV gas mileage.
And here’s another tip from Explorer RV Insurance.
We hope these RV gas saving tips enable you to save on fuel costs.
But, what about your insurance costs? Is your coverage as efficient as possible? Are you throwing away money on unnecessary protection?
Speak to a licensed agent at Explorer RV Insurance today to find out. We’ll see if your policy still fits your needs. And we’ll comparison shop your coverage among our carriers to make sure you’re paying a fair price.
Call us at 1-888-774-6778. Or request a free online RV insurance quote.